Circuit Contact

Snetterton Circuit
Norfolk NR16 2JU

Tel: 01953 887303
Fax: 01953 888220

Historical Snippet Part 1 - 2 Aug 2013

So how did the Bombhole get its name? 

In this early Snetterton Guy Griffiths photo from May 1953 we see the Allards of Ken Rudd and Billy Jacobs leading an Aston DB2 through the oil drum lined Esses, into the bend we know today as the Bombhole. Note there is not a dip in the road.

The Esses were sited at the intersection of two runways from the old WWII airfield. The North-South runway became the Home Straight ( the same runway we use as the circuit entrance today ), while the West-East runway would later become the Revett Straight when the circuit was shortened in 1974. There was a nasty bump where the perimeter road and the runway met ( in the foreground ).

In early 1954 the circuit owners Oliver Sear & Fred Riches called in contractor Ben Wyatt to 'fix' this problem, but they decided to create a slight banked corner with a man-made dip, to add a bit of variety to the lap. When the new Esses were sited at the end of the Revett Straight in 1974,  (now called Brundle & Nelson ), for many years this bend with the dip by the grandstand had no name. Folklore says that the bike races found it a great challenge where several fell became known as a 'Bumhole' of a corner, a name which stuck.

Of course commentator Norman Greenway could not use that name so in the early 80s the 'Bombhole' was born. But another problem was created due to bad drainage and the bombhole has often become a waterhole!

Many think the dip was from a wartime bomb, but Snetterton Heath airfield was never attacked and no bomb ever fell there. But lest we forget nearly 900 men were lost on missions from Snetterton, 189 aircraft lost in combat and a further 50 in accidents in the final 2 years and 3 months of the war in Europe when the USAAF 96th bomb group were operating from the airfield